Sunday, April 27, 2008

Shake, Rattle and Roll

My first earthquake! It was Sunday evening and I was talking to my husband on the computer when it hit. The room started to move and it made me feel dizzy, I went outside just to be safe. Nobody seemed concerned , so I stood out for a minute until it was still. Never a dull moment around here! I was told that little earthquakes are good because the ground is letting off steam a little at a time and doesn't do much damage. Below is the report from CNN forwarded to me by my daughter Juliet, who read about it shortly after it happened!


MEXICO CITY, Mexico (CNN) -- A moderate earthquake of 5.8 magnitude struck southwestern Mexico on Sunday night, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Rafael Abreau of the USGS said there were no reports of damage from the earthquake, which was centered about 54.5 miles (87.7 kilometers) below ground, and about 100 miles (161 kilometers) south-southwest of Mexico City.

Abreau said the USGS had received reports that the earthquake had been felt in the country's capital.

Because of the depth of the earthquake, Abreau said, "we may see some minor damage."

"Yes, it scared us," Julio Lara, 38, a parking attendant in downtown Mexico City told The Associated Press. "It was strong."

The earthquake struck at 7:06 p.m. local time (8:06 p.m. ET).


No comments: